- Modern, elegant chalets
- Excellent staff and guides
- Abundant wildlife
- Bushways Safaris portfolio
Khwai Guesthouse is located within the rural village of Khwai on the Okovango Mopane Tongue area, northern Botswana. Situated within the pristine wilderness region of the Khwai Concession, and bordering the Moremi Game Reserve, guests will experience no shortage of spectacular wildlife viewing. Opportunities to see the big five abound, along with sightings of giraffe, hippo, ostriches, honey-badgers, and a plethora of birds. The guesthouse will charm any traveller seeking a cosy, good-value base from which to explore Botswana’s spectacular wilderness. The property can be accessed by road or via light aircraft transfer from Maun or Kasane.
Khwai has an exceedingly open and friendly atmosphere, with excellent, attentive staff. The thatch-roofed main area is open-plan and houses a lounge area, bar, and restaurant. Self-catering guests can use the communal cooking area, or delicious bush meals are prepared each evening. Pre-dinner drinks are served in a lovely setting around the open fire.
There are six individual bungalows arranged in either double or twin formation. Inspired by Botswana’s traditional rural homes, the chalets have stone walls, thatched roofs and a clean, modern feel. Recently refurbished, the rooms have simple but elegant décor and each room houses a writing desk, wooden storage chests, a fan, a safe, and an ensuite bathroom with open-air shower, separate toilet, toiletries, and bath linen.
The guesthouse offers a variety of interesting activities. Half or full day game drives in the Moremi Game Reserve promise stunning wildlife encounters in one of Botswana's most beautiful parks. The property’s location within the private Kwhai Concession means that guests can enjoy unique experiences such as visits to the Khwai Development Trust sustainable tourism project, water safaris with expert guides in traditional Mokoro canoes, and superb night-time game drives not offered in the Moremi Reserve. Cultural visits to the Khwai’s resident Babukahwe, or 'river bushmen', are also possible.
There are no age restrictions at Khwai Guesthouse, but the grown-up feel of the lodge combined with age restrictions on some activities mean that a stay might better suit families with older children with an interest in wildlife and nature. Note that children under 16 are not permitted to join walking activities, and those under 12 are unable to participate in Mokoro safaris. Although there are no family suites, children under the age of 18 will be provided with a bedroll mat on request, and those under 12 must share a room with a parent. Rooms can accommodate a maximum of 3 people, with space at a premium. Note that parental supervision is essential at all times, as the guesthouse is unfenced, with wild animals free to roam.
- Friendly, traditional safari camp
- Private concession
- Excellent dry season game viewing
- Mobile Camp
- Interconnecting Family Tents
- Ensuite Bush Shower & Loo
- Fully Serviced Camp
- Superb dry season game viewing
- Private concession
- Day and night game drives
- Canoe excursions
• 14 rooms & 1 suite with private decks
• Sweeping views & active game area
• Private concession: night drives & off-roading
• Observation deck & telescope
• Swimming pool & spa treatment room
• Superb bird & animal life
- Excellent dry-season game viewing
- Tranquil riverside location
- Game drives and walking safaris
- Mokoro canoe excursions
- Excellent wildlife area
- Accessible location
- Private viewing decks
- Located in the Xakanaxa area
- Surrounded by amazing diverse game
- Relatively high traffic location
- Located on Khwai River bank
- Wheel chair accessible lodge
- Simple lagoon-side camp
- Mokoro and motorboat excursions
- Game drives, nature walks
- Wonderful birdlife
- &Beyond Camp
- Luxury & Contemporary
- Private Concession
- Vehicle, Walking and night safari's
- Exclusive use of Footsteps Camp
- Personal guides for all purposes
- Designed for families with children
- Inspirational and educational children's activities
- Unique safari walks
- Authentic safari experience
- Located in the bush of the Okavango Delta
- Friendly and knowledgeable staff
-Tranquil lagoon-side location
-12 rooms, newly upgraded
-Boat trips, nature walks, seasonal fishing
-Friendly, efficient staff
- Water-based safari activities only
- Situated on the Xugana Lagoon
- Outstanding bird-watching opportunities
- Incredible views from guest chalets
- Unique walks with elephants
- Traditional tented camp
- Private Game Reserve
- Spectacular riverside location
- 'Living with elephants' experience
- Intimate camp with impeccable service
• 8 reed chalets in riverine forest setting
• Rustic eco- camp
• Stunning landscape vistas
• Cultural village visit & mokoro excursions
• Excellent birding
- Land and water based activities
- Reliable game
- Welcoming and attentive staff
• 12 luxury tents with private plunge pools
• Stylishly comfortable lodge, numerous activities & discovery ambiance
• Spectacular vistas & stunning landscape
• Water-based camp with sense of exclusivity
• Fishing & excellent birding
- &Beyond Camp
- Land & Water based safari activities
- Contemporary & Luxurious
- Exclusive location
- Private concession
- Superb game viewing
- Birdwatcher's paradise
- Luxurious accommodation
- Strong game, year round
- Prime position
- Private plunge pools
It was FANTASTIC! Beautifully organised, everything worked like clockwork. We agreed that we had the best support team ever (and we have experience) - all delightful, very professional and nothing was too much bother.
It clearly couldn't have been a better route, such a wonderful mix of landscapes. And plenty of acclimatisation time. Nonetheless, I was glad of my summit oxygen.
Kit excellent. Double good mattresses made for most comfortable trek camping ever. Tents v good. Mess tent pretty windproof, which was vital for enjoyment. Best camp loo ever!
My favourite day was Shira Cathedral. Amazing.
William M reviewing Kilimanjaro Lemosho Route on 15 April 2020
The safari trip was excellent! The stay, the food and the people were all very nice. We were happy to have Ryan and Stanley as our game drive guides they brought us up close to the animals and Ryan gave very good information throughout.
Would definitely recommend to friends who are interested in safaris :)
Also, thanks much for your help, particularly keeping the room for my Brother and his wife they’ve enjoyed the safari very much too!
Woan Chyi L reviewing Cape Town & Kruger Safari on 16 October 2019
We had a fantastic time and all the arrangements worked perfectly.
We were very impressed with the quality and service levels of all 4 locations visited and it was truly a holiday of a lifetime.
Thank you to you and to Lisa for giving us this experience.
Particular highlights for us – really the whole experience, but of particular impact:
Breathtaking scenery at Cathedral Peak Hotel
Rhino Ridge game drives incredible, thanks to guide (we had their head guide, Hala, who’s knowledge, enthusiasm, kindness, interaction, ability to spot wildlife was out of this world)
Luxury of Rhino Ridge (shower, food, views, service)
Immersion in nature, torch lit meal on last night and beach trip at Kosi Forest Lodge
Level of service, quality of food throughout
Catherine F reviewing South Africa Safari, Beach and Wetlands on 04 September 2019