- Simple lagoon-side camp
- Mokoro and motorboat excursions
- Game drives, nature walks
- Wonderful birdlife
Kwara is a charming and traditional lagoon-side camp in the beautiful Linyanti Reserve of the Okavango Delta, Northern Botswana. Accessible by air or motorboat, this remote accommodation is encompassed by wooded islands, permanent waterways, and expansive open savannah. Both water and land-based activities are offered year-round, with some superb dry-season game viewing in an area of very low visitor density.
The camp’s two main areas have a comfortable, friendly feel and comprise an open-sided lounge and bar, and an adjacent thatch-roofed dining space where home-cooked food is served communally. All areas of the camp, not least the elevated hide, offer lovely views and up-close wildlife sightings with hippos, baboons, and wonderful birdlife to be spotted. There is also a small plunge pool and a fire pit surrounded by camp chairs for sociable sundowners and after dinner drinks.
Activities vary from fishing, to gentle mokoro (dug-out canoe) excursions and slow-paced nature walks, to motorboat trips and some fabulous vehicle safaris. The Kwando Safaris portfolio to which the camp belongs places firm emphasis on the provision of top-notch game drives. Each 4X4 has a driver and dedicated ‘spotter’ to maximise wildlife sightings. Expert guiding coupled with the off-road driving permitted in the private Kwara Concession, make for thrilling predator sightings of wild dogs, lions and cheetah. Impala, zebra, giraffe, buffalo and elephant can also be seen, and night drives are a strong feature of Kwara Camp, with sightings of nocturnal bush-babies, genets and porcupines commonplace.
The accommodation comprises 8 simple and cosy tents on individual wooden platforms with private decks, all with great views and a segregated bathroom area with double basin, hot and cold running water, shower and flush toilet. Every tent has an outdoor shower which, although an attractive feature, may prove somewhat chilly during winter months. There are no power points in the rooms, but there is a central battery charging station in the camp’s main area. There is also one honeymoon tent with a claw-foot bath.
Children aged six or over are warmly welcome, although families with children aged 6-12 are obliged to book a private safari vehicle at additional cost. Groups with children younger than six may be accepted if the camp is reserved for exclusive use. Although there is no designated family accommodation, Kwando Safaris demonstrate a particularly high level of flexibility towards families and guides go out of their way to keep children entertained both on excursions and within camp. Note that Kwara is unfenced, and although it’s unlikely that animals will approach humans or tents, parents must ensure that their children are supervised at all times.
Kwara is a welcoming camp offering myriad activities and a serious safari focus. The facilities may be somewhat rustic, but the price tag does reflect this, making it a great choice for any traveller looking for a comfortable and relatively affordable option in the stunning Linyanti reserve.
- Exclusive use of Footsteps Camp
- Personal guides for all purposes
- Designed for families with children
- Inspirational and educational children's activities
- Unique safari walks
- Authentic safari experience
- Located in the bush of the Okavango Delta
- Friendly and knowledgeable staff
-Tranquil lagoon-side location
-12 rooms, newly upgraded
-Boat trips, nature walks, seasonal fishing
-Friendly, efficient staff
- Water-based safari activities only
- Situated on the Xugana Lagoon
- Outstanding bird-watching opportunities
- Incredible views from guest chalets
- Surrounded by amazing diverse game
- Relatively high traffic location
- Located on Khwai River bank
- Wheel chair accessible lodge
- Excellent wildlife area
- Accessible location
- Private viewing decks
- Located in the Xakanaxa area
• 8 reed chalets in riverine forest setting
• Rustic eco- camp
• Stunning landscape vistas
• Cultural village visit & mokoro excursions
• Excellent birding
- &Beyond Camp
- Luxury & Contemporary
- Private Concession
- Vehicle, Walking and night safari's
- Land and water based activities
- Reliable game
- Welcoming and attentive staff
- Unique walks with elephants
- Traditional tented camp
- Private Game Reserve
• 12 luxury tents with private plunge pools
• Stylishly comfortable lodge, numerous activities & discovery ambiance
• Spectacular vistas & stunning landscape
• Water-based camp with sense of exclusivity
• Fishing & excellent birding
- Mobile Camp
- Interconnecting Family Tents
- Ensuite Bush Shower & Loo
- Fully Serviced Camp
- Modern, elegant chalets
- Excellent staff and guides
- Abundant wildlife
- Bushways Safaris portfolio
- Friendly, traditional safari camp
- Private concession
- Excellent dry season game viewing
- Superb dry season game viewing
- Private concession
- Day and night game drives
- Canoe excursions
- Exclusive location
- Private concession
- Superb game viewing
- Birdwatcher's paradise
• 14 rooms & 1 suite with private decks
• Sweeping views & active game area
• Private concession: night drives & off-roading
• Observation deck & telescope
• Swimming pool & spa treatment room
• Superb bird & animal life
- Excellent dry-season game viewing
- Tranquil riverside location
- Game drives and walking safaris
- Mokoro canoe excursions
- &Beyond Camp
- Land & Water based safari activities
- Contemporary & Luxurious
- Spectacular riverside location
- 'Living with elephants' experience
- Intimate camp with impeccable service
- Luxurious accommodation
- Strong game, year round
- Prime position
- Private plunge pools
It was FANTASTIC! Beautifully organised, everything worked like clockwork. We agreed that we had the best support team ever (and we have experience) - all delightful, very professional and nothing was too much bother.
It clearly couldn't have been a better route, such a wonderful mix of landscapes. And plenty of acclimatisation time. Nonetheless, I was glad of my summit oxygen.
Kit excellent. Double good mattresses made for most comfortable trek camping ever. Tents v good. Mess tent pretty windproof, which was vital for enjoyment. Best camp loo ever!
My favourite day was Shira Cathedral. Amazing.
William M reviewing Kilimanjaro Lemosho Route on 15 April 2020
The safari trip was excellent! The stay, the food and the people were all very nice. We were happy to have Ryan and Stanley as our game drive guides they brought us up close to the animals and Ryan gave very good information throughout.
Would definitely recommend to friends who are interested in safaris :)
Also, thanks much for your help, particularly keeping the room for my Brother and his wife they’ve enjoyed the safari very much too!
Woan Chyi L reviewing Cape Town & Kruger Safari on 16 October 2019
We had a fantastic time and all the arrangements worked perfectly.
We were very impressed with the quality and service levels of all 4 locations visited and it was truly a holiday of a lifetime.
Thank you to you and to Lisa for giving us this experience.
Particular highlights for us – really the whole experience, but of particular impact:
Breathtaking scenery at Cathedral Peak Hotel
Rhino Ridge game drives incredible, thanks to guide (we had their head guide, Hala, who’s knowledge, enthusiasm, kindness, interaction, ability to spot wildlife was out of this world)
Luxury of Rhino Ridge (shower, food, views, service)
Immersion in nature, torch lit meal on last night and beach trip at Kosi Forest Lodge
Level of service, quality of food throughout
Catherine F reviewing South Africa Safari, Beach and Wetlands on 04 September 2019