- Exclusive use of Footsteps Camp
- Personal guides for all purposes
- Designed for families with children
- Inspirational and educational children's activities
One of a series of safari camps run by Ker & Downey Botswana, Young Explorers offers families with children of all ages to explore the Okavango Delta region together. Families who want to feel closer to nature at the expense of everyday treats such as running water and electricity will enjoy the emphasis on exploring the surrounding Okavango Delta area as the first African explorers did: by foot and under canvas.
Activities have been planned with the whole family in mind. Parents can relax in an African Tin Tub, by the campfire, in hammocks, or in their tents and look out at the incredible views the pans provide whilst expertly trained Young Explorers guides entertain the children with a multitude of activities suitable for all ages. Both educational and inspiring, a child’s day could be spent enjoying sundowners over Paul’s Pan, making bows and arrows, exploring the Delta, catching game, learning how to prepare and cook ‘a catch’ over an open fire, and fun quizzes aimed at testing their knowledge of the bush. Stargazing is always an option for those children who are able to stay awake long enough.
Walking as a family through the wetland wilderness is a highlight of this true safari experience. Passionate, professional, and fun personal guides join the family on their travels at dawn, dusk, and during the day, and share their knowledge of the nature to educate and inspire the children. Families can expect to bump into a range of game, including the Big Five, and prolific birdlife including African jacana, pygmy-geese, goliath heron and migrant waders. Game drives, fishing opportunities, and excursions by mokoro (a type of canoe commonly used in the Okavango Delta) are also available, which all cater to educate the children about the ecosystem and skills for survival developed by local people. A fun game guides like to play with the children is to see who can stalk up to a giraffe the closest.
This is an authentic safari camping experience based in Footsteps Camp, which is booked out exclusively for the family. A symbol of a bygone era of exploration is the Meru-style tent, which serves as guest accommodation. Three of these tents make up the Camp, which can home a maximum of six family members. Comfortable twin beds are included in each tent, whilst the en-suite facilities consist of hot-water-filled buckets for showers and porcelain flush toilets. However, the children won’t be spending much time in their tents.
True to its self-proclaimed ‘Bush Kitchen’, the Camp’s high tea is made from scratch for all appetites on an open fire and in a charcoal oven by excellent and friendly chefs, which can sometimes peak the curiosity of nearby game such as hyena, hippo, and even elephants. The camp’s location offers shade for children during the heat of the day and an amazing atmosphere for families gathered round the fire at night.
The minimum age is 7 but exceptions may be made on request. There are three twin tents in camp, so the maximum family size is a family of 6. One of the three tents can be converted to sleep three, but families of four or more will have to split across the tents. We usually plan this experience as a 4 day three night safari.
- Unique safari walks
- Authentic safari experience
- Located in the bush of the Okavango Delta
- Friendly and knowledgeable staff
- Simple lagoon-side camp
- Mokoro and motorboat excursions
- Game drives, nature walks
- Wonderful birdlife
- Water-based safari activities only
- Situated on the Xugana Lagoon
- Outstanding bird-watching opportunities
- Incredible views from guest chalets
-Tranquil lagoon-side location
-12 rooms, newly upgraded
-Boat trips, nature walks, seasonal fishing
-Friendly, efficient staff
- Surrounded by amazing diverse game
- Relatively high traffic location
- Located on Khwai River bank
- Wheel chair accessible lodge
- Excellent wildlife area
- Accessible location
- Private viewing decks
- Located in the Xakanaxa area
• 8 reed chalets in riverine forest setting
• Rustic eco- camp
• Stunning landscape vistas
• Cultural village visit & mokoro excursions
• Excellent birding
- Land and water based activities
- Reliable game
- Welcoming and attentive staff
- &Beyond Camp
- Luxury & Contemporary
- Private Concession
- Vehicle, Walking and night safari's
- Unique walks with elephants
- Traditional tented camp
- Private Game Reserve
- Exclusive location
- Private concession
- Superb game viewing
- Birdwatcher's paradise
• 12 luxury tents with private plunge pools
• Stylishly comfortable lodge, numerous activities & discovery ambiance
• Spectacular vistas & stunning landscape
• Water-based camp with sense of exclusivity
• Fishing & excellent birding
- Mobile Camp
- Interconnecting Family Tents
- Ensuite Bush Shower & Loo
- Fully Serviced Camp
- &Beyond Camp
- Land & Water based safari activities
- Contemporary & Luxurious
- Modern, elegant chalets
- Excellent staff and guides
- Abundant wildlife
- Bushways Safaris portfolio
- Friendly, traditional safari camp
- Private concession
- Excellent dry season game viewing
- Superb dry season game viewing
- Private concession
- Day and night game drives
- Canoe excursions
• 14 rooms & 1 suite with private decks
• Sweeping views & active game area
• Private concession: night drives & off-roading
• Observation deck & telescope
• Swimming pool & spa treatment room
• Superb bird & animal life
- Excellent dry-season game viewing
- Tranquil riverside location
- Game drives and walking safaris
- Mokoro canoe excursions
- Spectacular riverside location
- 'Living with elephants' experience
- Intimate camp with impeccable service
- Luxurious accommodation
- Strong game, year round
- Prime position
- Private plunge pools
It was FANTASTIC! Beautifully organised, everything worked like clockwork. We agreed that we had the best support team ever (and we have experience) - all delightful, very professional and nothing was too much bother.
It clearly couldn't have been a better route, such a wonderful mix of landscapes. And plenty of acclimatisation time. Nonetheless, I was glad of my summit oxygen.
Kit excellent. Double good mattresses made for most comfortable trek camping ever. Tents v good. Mess tent pretty windproof, which was vital for enjoyment. Best camp loo ever!
My favourite day was Shira Cathedral. Amazing.
William M reviewing Kilimanjaro Lemosho Route on 15 April 2020
The safari trip was excellent! The stay, the food and the people were all very nice. We were happy to have Ryan and Stanley as our game drive guides they brought us up close to the animals and Ryan gave very good information throughout.
Would definitely recommend to friends who are interested in safaris :)
Also, thanks much for your help, particularly keeping the room for my Brother and his wife they’ve enjoyed the safari very much too!
Woan Chyi L reviewing Cape Town & Kruger Safari on 16 October 2019
We had a fantastic time and all the arrangements worked perfectly.
We were very impressed with the quality and service levels of all 4 locations visited and it was truly a holiday of a lifetime.
Thank you to you and to Lisa for giving us this experience.
Particular highlights for us – really the whole experience, but of particular impact:
Breathtaking scenery at Cathedral Peak Hotel
Rhino Ridge game drives incredible, thanks to guide (we had their head guide, Hala, who’s knowledge, enthusiasm, kindness, interaction, ability to spot wildlife was out of this world)
Luxury of Rhino Ridge (shower, food, views, service)
Immersion in nature, torch lit meal on last night and beach trip at Kosi Forest Lodge
Level of service, quality of food throughout
Catherine F reviewing South Africa Safari, Beach and Wetlands on 04 September 2019