- Unique safari walks
- Authentic safari experience
- Located in the bush of the Okavango Delta
- Friendly and knowledgeable staff
One of a series of camps run by Ker & Downey Botswana, Footsteps Across the Delta Camp offers one of the most unique experiences in the Okavango Delta region. Smaller than its sister camps, and therefore more personal, Footsteps Camp is an authentic safari camping experience. Guests who want to feel closer to nature at the expense of everyday treats such as running water and electricity will enjoy the Camp’s emphasis on exploring the surrounding Okavango Delta area as the first African explorers did: by foot and under canvas.
Walking through the wetland wilderness is a highlight of this true safari experience. Passionate and professional guides join guests on their travels at dawn, dusk, and during the day, and interpret the nature in a way that is unique and special for each group. Echoing the footsteps of early explorers, the focus is very much on discovery, so no special training is required to get the most out of these exquisite walks. Guests can expect to see and get close to a range of game, including the Big Five, and prolific birdlife including African jacana, pygmy-geese, goliath heron and migrant waders. Game drives, fishing opportunities, and excursions by mokoro (a type of canoe commonly used in the Okavango Delta) are also available.
A symbol of a bygone era of exploration is the Meru-style tent, which serves as guest accommodation. Three of these tents make up the Camp, which can home a maximum of six guests. Comfortable twin beds are included in each tent, whilst the en-suite facilities consist of hot-water-filled buckets for showers and porcelain flush toilets. The tents offer a great view of the surrounding wetlands, and it is not uncommon for game such as hyena, hippo, and even elephants to wander into and around the Camp. Guests really do get the chance to live in the bush here without missing out on a luxury living experience.
Everything about the camp is designed to transport guests to an elegant age before electricity. Guests can soak away in an African Tin Tub, relax around the campfire or in hammocks, or simply look out from their tents at the incredible views the pans provide. True to its self-proclaimed ‘Bush Kitchen’, the Camp’s high tea is made from scratch on an open fire and in a charcoal oven by excellent and friendly chefs, which can sometimes peak the curiosity of nearby game. The camp’s location offers shade during the heat of the day and an amazing atmosphere at night.
One thing that stands out here aside from the immersive nature walks is the helpfulness and expertise of the staff. Guides possess expert knowledge on the Delta’s ecosystem, which they are more than happy to share with guests, and are attentive to guests’ needs. Families with children are encouraged to visit Footsteps Camp through the Ker & Downey Botswana Young Explorers package.
- Exclusive use of Footsteps Camp
- Personal guides for all purposes
- Designed for families with children
- Inspirational and educational children's activities
- Simple lagoon-side camp
- Mokoro and motorboat excursions
- Game drives, nature walks
- Wonderful birdlife
- Water-based safari activities only
- Situated on the Xugana Lagoon
- Outstanding bird-watching opportunities
- Incredible views from guest chalets
-Tranquil lagoon-side location
-12 rooms, newly upgraded
-Boat trips, nature walks, seasonal fishing
-Friendly, efficient staff
- Surrounded by amazing diverse game
- Relatively high traffic location
- Located on Khwai River bank
- Wheel chair accessible lodge
- Excellent wildlife area
- Accessible location
- Private viewing decks
- Located in the Xakanaxa area
• 8 reed chalets in riverine forest setting
• Rustic eco- camp
• Stunning landscape vistas
• Cultural village visit & mokoro excursions
• Excellent birding
- Land and water based activities
- Reliable game
- Welcoming and attentive staff
- &Beyond Camp
- Luxury & Contemporary
- Private Concession
- Vehicle, Walking and night safari's
- Unique walks with elephants
- Traditional tented camp
- Private Game Reserve
- Exclusive location
- Private concession
- Superb game viewing
- Birdwatcher's paradise
• 12 luxury tents with private plunge pools
• Stylishly comfortable lodge, numerous activities & discovery ambiance
• Spectacular vistas & stunning landscape
• Water-based camp with sense of exclusivity
• Fishing & excellent birding
- Mobile Camp
- Interconnecting Family Tents
- Ensuite Bush Shower & Loo
- Fully Serviced Camp
- &Beyond Camp
- Land & Water based safari activities
- Contemporary & Luxurious
- Modern, elegant chalets
- Excellent staff and guides
- Abundant wildlife
- Bushways Safaris portfolio
- Friendly, traditional safari camp
- Private concession
- Excellent dry season game viewing
- Superb dry season game viewing
- Private concession
- Day and night game drives
- Canoe excursions
• 14 rooms & 1 suite with private decks
• Sweeping views & active game area
• Private concession: night drives & off-roading
• Observation deck & telescope
• Swimming pool & spa treatment room
• Superb bird & animal life
- Excellent dry-season game viewing
- Tranquil riverside location
- Game drives and walking safaris
- Mokoro canoe excursions
- Spectacular riverside location
- 'Living with elephants' experience
- Intimate camp with impeccable service
- Luxurious accommodation
- Strong game, year round
- Prime position
- Private plunge pools
It was FANTASTIC! Beautifully organised, everything worked like clockwork. We agreed that we had the best support team ever (and we have experience) - all delightful, very professional and nothing was too much bother.
It clearly couldn't have been a better route, such a wonderful mix of landscapes. And plenty of acclimatisation time. Nonetheless, I was glad of my summit oxygen.
Kit excellent. Double good mattresses made for most comfortable trek camping ever. Tents v good. Mess tent pretty windproof, which was vital for enjoyment. Best camp loo ever!
My favourite day was Shira Cathedral. Amazing.
William M reviewing Kilimanjaro Lemosho Route on 15 April 2020
The safari trip was excellent! The stay, the food and the people were all very nice. We were happy to have Ryan and Stanley as our game drive guides they brought us up close to the animals and Ryan gave very good information throughout.
Would definitely recommend to friends who are interested in safaris :)
Also, thanks much for your help, particularly keeping the room for my Brother and his wife they’ve enjoyed the safari very much too!
Woan Chyi L reviewing Cape Town & Kruger Safari on 16 October 2019
We had a fantastic time and all the arrangements worked perfectly.
We were very impressed with the quality and service levels of all 4 locations visited and it was truly a holiday of a lifetime.
Thank you to you and to Lisa for giving us this experience.
Particular highlights for us – really the whole experience, but of particular impact:
Breathtaking scenery at Cathedral Peak Hotel
Rhino Ridge game drives incredible, thanks to guide (we had their head guide, Hala, who’s knowledge, enthusiasm, kindness, interaction, ability to spot wildlife was out of this world)
Luxury of Rhino Ridge (shower, food, views, service)
Immersion in nature, torch lit meal on last night and beach trip at Kosi Forest Lodge
Level of service, quality of food throughout
Catherine F reviewing South Africa Safari, Beach and Wetlands on 04 September 2019