-Tranquil lagoon-side location
-12 rooms, newly upgraded
-Boat trips, nature walks, seasonal fishing
-Friendly, efficient staff
Camp Okavango is a newly upgraded ecosensitive lodge located on Nxaraga Island in the heart of Northern Botswana’s Okavango Delta. Hidden amidst an extensive maze of reed-lined waterways, this tranquil and remote camp is reached via light aircraft, with a short 5 minute walk to the accommodation itself. Okavango is located in the private Shindi Concession so there are fewer safari restrictions here than in National Parks.
The communal areas of the camp are well set out amidst the ancient mangosteen trees. There is a traditional thatch and lethaka (reed) main lodge featuring a bar, wildlife reference library and lounge. The separate dining room leads onto an expansive open-air patio and sweeping ramps lead to a lower-level deck with two open-air fire pits and comfortable seating. There is also a curio shop and a small rim flow swimming pool with a thatched lounge deck.
The Okavango Delta is a world heritage site with rich wildlife and plenty to explore. Wet and dry safari activities are offered year-round by experienced local guides. Boat trips in traditional mokoros (canoes) or motorised boats provide unique game-viewing opportunities. Bird-watching is outstanding here and the guided nature walks on nearby islands are a particular feature of this camp. Seasonal fishing can also be arranged. Since Camp Okavango is water-based, no game drives are possible. While this can reduce the chances of close game encounters, on the positive side it enables visitors to enjoy their surroundings unhindered by vehicle traffic.
The recently renovated accommodation comprises 11 spacious and comfortable safari suites nestled on stilts into the thick vegetation. Each room has a private deck with magnificent views over the Okavango Delta and an en-suite bathroom with double shower and separate WC. There is 24-hour solar generated power and fans in all rooms.
Children over the age of 6 years are welcome - the family suite consists of two bedrooms, each with an en-suite bathroom. It is always advisable for parents to keep a close eye on children in a wildlife area such as this, however the elephant fence surrounding this site does offer reassurance. While the camp is accommodating towards children, families with children aged 6-11 are requested to book private activities at additional cost.
Camp Okavango offers pristine, comfortable accommodation with a friendly atmosphere. Visitors are well looked after by staff and learn first-hand that there can be more to the genuine safari experience than the “Big Five”. This is a popular choice for adventurous nature-lovers and guarantees an unforgettable stay.
- Water-based safari activities only
- Situated on the Xugana Lagoon
- Outstanding bird-watching opportunities
- Incredible views from guest chalets
- Exclusive use of Footsteps Camp
- Personal guides for all purposes
- Designed for families with children
- Inspirational and educational children's activities
- Unique safari walks
- Authentic safari experience
- Located in the bush of the Okavango Delta
- Friendly and knowledgeable staff
- Simple lagoon-side camp
- Mokoro and motorboat excursions
- Game drives, nature walks
- Wonderful birdlife
• 8 reed chalets in riverine forest setting
• Rustic eco- camp
• Stunning landscape vistas
• Cultural village visit & mokoro excursions
• Excellent birding
- Land and water based activities
- Reliable game
- Welcoming and attentive staff
- Surrounded by amazing diverse game
- Relatively high traffic location
- Located on Khwai River bank
- Wheel chair accessible lodge
- Excellent wildlife area
- Accessible location
- Private viewing decks
- Located in the Xakanaxa area
- Unique walks with elephants
- Traditional tented camp
- Private Game Reserve
- Exclusive location
- Private concession
- Superb game viewing
- Birdwatcher's paradise
- &Beyond Camp
- Luxury & Contemporary
- Private Concession
- Vehicle, Walking and night safari's
• 12 luxury tents with private plunge pools
• Stylishly comfortable lodge, numerous activities & discovery ambiance
• Spectacular vistas & stunning landscape
• Water-based camp with sense of exclusivity
• Fishing & excellent birding
- &Beyond Camp
- Land & Water based safari activities
- Contemporary & Luxurious
- Mobile Camp
- Interconnecting Family Tents
- Ensuite Bush Shower & Loo
- Fully Serviced Camp
- Modern, elegant chalets
- Excellent staff and guides
- Abundant wildlife
- Bushways Safaris portfolio
- Friendly, traditional safari camp
- Private concession
- Excellent dry season game viewing
- Spectacular riverside location
- 'Living with elephants' experience
- Intimate camp with impeccable service
- Superb dry season game viewing
- Private concession
- Day and night game drives
- Canoe excursions
• 14 rooms & 1 suite with private decks
• Sweeping views & active game area
• Private concession: night drives & off-roading
• Observation deck & telescope
• Swimming pool & spa treatment room
• Superb bird & animal life
- Excellent dry-season game viewing
- Tranquil riverside location
- Game drives and walking safaris
- Mokoro canoe excursions
- Luxurious accommodation
- Strong game, year round
- Prime position
- Private plunge pools
It was FANTASTIC! Beautifully organised, everything worked like clockwork. We agreed that we had the best support team ever (and we have experience) - all delightful, very professional and nothing was too much bother.
It clearly couldn't have been a better route, such a wonderful mix of landscapes. And plenty of acclimatisation time. Nonetheless, I was glad of my summit oxygen.
Kit excellent. Double good mattresses made for most comfortable trek camping ever. Tents v good. Mess tent pretty windproof, which was vital for enjoyment. Best camp loo ever!
My favourite day was Shira Cathedral. Amazing.
William M reviewing Kilimanjaro Lemosho Route on 15 April 2020
The safari trip was excellent! The stay, the food and the people were all very nice. We were happy to have Ryan and Stanley as our game drive guides they brought us up close to the animals and Ryan gave very good information throughout.
Would definitely recommend to friends who are interested in safaris :)
Also, thanks much for your help, particularly keeping the room for my Brother and his wife they’ve enjoyed the safari very much too!
Woan Chyi L reviewing Cape Town & Kruger Safari on 16 October 2019
We had a fantastic time and all the arrangements worked perfectly.
We were very impressed with the quality and service levels of all 4 locations visited and it was truly a holiday of a lifetime.
Thank you to you and to Lisa for giving us this experience.
Particular highlights for us – really the whole experience, but of particular impact:
Breathtaking scenery at Cathedral Peak Hotel
Rhino Ridge game drives incredible, thanks to guide (we had their head guide, Hala, who’s knowledge, enthusiasm, kindness, interaction, ability to spot wildlife was out of this world)
Luxury of Rhino Ridge (shower, food, views, service)
Immersion in nature, torch lit meal on last night and beach trip at Kosi Forest Lodge
Level of service, quality of food throughout
Catherine F reviewing South Africa Safari, Beach and Wetlands on 04 September 2019