- Friendly, traditional safari camp
- Private concession
- Excellent dry season game viewing
Sango Safari Camp is an intimate, traditional tented camp located within the community-run Khwai Concession on the edge of the Okavango Delta, northern Botswana. Accessible by air into nearby Khwai Airstrip, the camp is nestled by the Khwai River and ideally located for the adjacent Moremi Game Reserve. This area’s contrasting topography of river, floodplain, open grassland and shady forest is home to a diverse concentration of bird and wildlife. Game viewing is particularly strong during the Jun/Oct dry season, when large numbers of elephant, lion, leopard, hyena and wild dog can be seen, plus occasional sightings of cheetah, hippo, and giraffe.
The camp’s main area is an open-plan, timber and canvas construction, with sweeping views of the floodplains. Spacious and comfortably furnished, it comprises a lounge with a bar and a selection of reading materials, and a dining area with a long table for communal meals. Outside, a viewing deck allows guests an opportunity for bird and wildlife spotting. There is a boma with a campfire and seating, and a pleasant plunge pool with loungers.
Activities include full and half day game drives within both the Khwai Concession and Moremi Game Reserve, plus mokoro canoe excursions (water levels permitting), and cultural visits to nearby Khwai Village. The camp’s location within the private concession means that night game drives are also possible.
The camp accommodates up to 12 guests in six ensuite Meru-style canvas tents. Each spacious tent is simply furnished and comprises one double or two single beds, fitted with mosquito nets. There are bedside tables with reading lamps, plus a wardrobe and safe. Each ensuite bathroom contains a washstand with basin and mirror, a flushing toilet, and an open air shower. Outside is a private veranda with seating.
Children of two years and over are welcome, and an extra bed can be added to any tent in order to accommodate up to three people, although note that this formation does impose limits on space. All children under 12 must share a tent with an adult, and given that the camp is unfenced in a wilderness area, parents must keep their children under close supervision at all times. Although families are warmly welcomed at the camp, there are some age restrictions on activities. For reasons of safety, children under 12 are not permitted on mokoro canoe excursions, and those under 16 are unable to join walking activities. Children must be a minimum of 6 years of age to participate in game drives.
Sango Safari Camp offers a friendly, relaxed atmosphere with simple but comfortable facilities. It is a good, moderately priced option for travellers seeking an authentic safari experience amidst northern Botswana’s spectacular scenery and abundant wildlife.
- Modern, elegant chalets
- Excellent staff and guides
- Abundant wildlife
- Bushways Safaris portfolio
- Mobile Camp
- Interconnecting Family Tents
- Ensuite Bush Shower & Loo
- Fully Serviced Camp
- Superb dry season game viewing
- Private concession
- Day and night game drives
- Canoe excursions
• 14 rooms & 1 suite with private decks
• Sweeping views & active game area
• Private concession: night drives & off-roading
• Observation deck & telescope
• Swimming pool & spa treatment room
• Superb bird & animal life
- Excellent dry-season game viewing
- Tranquil riverside location
- Game drives and walking safaris
- Mokoro canoe excursions
- Excellent wildlife area
- Accessible location
- Private viewing decks
- Located in the Xakanaxa area
- Surrounded by amazing diverse game
- Relatively high traffic location
- Located on Khwai River bank
- Wheel chair accessible lodge
- Simple lagoon-side camp
- Mokoro and motorboat excursions
- Game drives, nature walks
- Wonderful birdlife
- &Beyond Camp
- Luxury & Contemporary
- Private Concession
- Vehicle, Walking and night safari's
- Exclusive use of Footsteps Camp
- Personal guides for all purposes
- Designed for families with children
- Inspirational and educational children's activities
- Unique safari walks
- Authentic safari experience
- Located in the bush of the Okavango Delta
- Friendly and knowledgeable staff
-Tranquil lagoon-side location
-12 rooms, newly upgraded
-Boat trips, nature walks, seasonal fishing
-Friendly, efficient staff
- Water-based safari activities only
- Situated on the Xugana Lagoon
- Outstanding bird-watching opportunities
- Incredible views from guest chalets
- Unique walks with elephants
- Traditional tented camp
- Private Game Reserve
- Spectacular riverside location
- 'Living with elephants' experience
- Intimate camp with impeccable service
• 8 reed chalets in riverine forest setting
• Rustic eco- camp
• Stunning landscape vistas
• Cultural village visit & mokoro excursions
• Excellent birding
- Land and water based activities
- Reliable game
- Welcoming and attentive staff
• 12 luxury tents with private plunge pools
• Stylishly comfortable lodge, numerous activities & discovery ambiance
• Spectacular vistas & stunning landscape
• Water-based camp with sense of exclusivity
• Fishing & excellent birding
- &Beyond Camp
- Land & Water based safari activities
- Contemporary & Luxurious
- Exclusive location
- Private concession
- Superb game viewing
- Birdwatcher's paradise
- Luxurious accommodation
- Strong game, year round
- Prime position
- Private plunge pools
It was FANTASTIC! Beautifully organised, everything worked like clockwork. We agreed that we had the best support team ever (and we have experience) - all delightful, very professional and nothing was too much bother.
It clearly couldn't have been a better route, such a wonderful mix of landscapes. And plenty of acclimatisation time. Nonetheless, I was glad of my summit oxygen.
Kit excellent. Double good mattresses made for most comfortable trek camping ever. Tents v good. Mess tent pretty windproof, which was vital for enjoyment. Best camp loo ever!
My favourite day was Shira Cathedral. Amazing.
William M reviewing Kilimanjaro Lemosho Route on 15 April 2020
The safari trip was excellent! The stay, the food and the people were all very nice. We were happy to have Ryan and Stanley as our game drive guides they brought us up close to the animals and Ryan gave very good information throughout.
Would definitely recommend to friends who are interested in safaris :)
Also, thanks much for your help, particularly keeping the room for my Brother and his wife they’ve enjoyed the safari very much too!
Woan Chyi L reviewing Cape Town & Kruger Safari on 16 October 2019
We had a fantastic time and all the arrangements worked perfectly.
We were very impressed with the quality and service levels of all 4 locations visited and it was truly a holiday of a lifetime.
Thank you to you and to Lisa for giving us this experience.
Particular highlights for us – really the whole experience, but of particular impact:
Breathtaking scenery at Cathedral Peak Hotel
Rhino Ridge game drives incredible, thanks to guide (we had their head guide, Hala, who’s knowledge, enthusiasm, kindness, interaction, ability to spot wildlife was out of this world)
Luxury of Rhino Ridge (shower, food, views, service)
Immersion in nature, torch lit meal on last night and beach trip at Kosi Forest Lodge
Level of service, quality of food throughout
Catherine F reviewing South Africa Safari, Beach and Wetlands on 04 September 2019