- 587 sleek, contemporary rooms
- Recently refurbished
- Central Cape Town, waterfront bar
- Pool, spa, gym
The Southern Sun Waterfront Hotel is an expansive, recently refurbished hotel with a sleek, modern feel set in the heart of Cape Town’s most tourist-friendly precinct a short walk from the bustle of the V&A waterfront. There are 587 spacious rooms, a pool, fitness centre, spa and waterfront bar. While this towering property may perhaps be a bit lacking in character, it boasts stylish touches, contemporary facilities and great service. Despite the property's conveniently central location, it still offers a real sense of peace and tranquillity away from the Cape Town's busy epicentre.
All rooms are comfortable, spacious, and modern, with smoking and wheelchair accessible rooms available on request. All Standard Rooms are available for single or double occupancy and come with ensuite bathrooms and modern amenities such as Wi-Fi, satellite TV, complimentary dressing gowns, and tea and coffee serving stations. Most rooms comfortably accommodate two people in luxurious king-size beds, but the family rooms can house up to four people in two king sized beds. The Executive Rooms and Suites are slightly larger and come with a lounge area and a minibar.
The hotel’s restaurant, Yizani - meaning Welcome, is located on the ground floor and offers a contemporary South African fusion menu along with a comprehensive wine list. There is a separate breakfast room. The Waterfront Bar is popular with both guests and locals, serving a wide range of drinks and some informal light bites.
Cape Town and the surrounding area are jam-packed with things to do. Attractions such as the Victoria & Albert Waterfront shopping centre, the Table Mountain hiking trails and cable cars, and the Two Oceans Aquarium are on the hotel's doorstep. Plus there are beaches within easy reach offering a wide range of water sports and activities; False Bay is an excellent location for whale watching at the right time of year, Gansbaai offers Shark Cage Diving for those who are brave enough, and Boulders Beach is a great place for spotting penguins.
Children are welcome at Southern Sun Waterfront. There are designated family rooms and a babysitting service. The pool will provide entertainment during down time between excursions, however parents should note that the pool is not fenced off, so children must be supervised by an adult at all times.
- 394 contemporary rooms and suites
- Close to V&A waterfront
- Indoor and outdoor pools, gym and spa
- Wheelchair accessible rooms available
- High-end luxury hotel
- Amazing room views
- Central but secluded location
- Great service for all ages
- Upmarket hotel in waterfront location
- Superb panoramic views
- Spacious modern rooms and suites
- Pool, spa, gym, bars, and restaurants
- Well presented stylish hotel
- Great attention to detail
- Centrally located
- Good on-site facilities
- Great views of Table Mountain and the sea
- Right beside popular shopping area
- Outdoor pool, spa, fitness centre
- Complimentary shuttle service across city
- Location central Cape Town
- Lots of activities nearby
- Family suites
- Rooms with views
- Boutique hotel in central location
- Fabulous views of Table Mountain
- Pool, restaurant, bar, and gym
- Wine tours, mountain treks & shops nearby
- Located central Cape Town
- Not many activities on-resort
- Spacious apartments
- Charming guesthouse with character
- Situated in a quiet residential area
- Stunning views of Table Mountain
- Stylish boutique hotel
- Plunge Pool
- Neighbourhood Location
- Lovingly preserved building over 100 years old
- Nestled on the slopes of Table Mountain
- Quaint, cosy accommodation
- Homely Guesthouse
- Pool and Gardens
- Neighbourhood location
- Central location in Cape Town
- Relaxation facilities
- Children's activities
- Rooms with Ocean/Mountain views
- Stylish, intimate boutique hotel
- Tranquil location close to amenities
- Lovely gardens, pool, and restaurant
- Short drive to sights and beaches
- Smart, stylish property
- 10 minutes from Cape Town centre
- Lovely gardens and two pools
- Incredible location in Cape Town
- Luxury hotel experience
- Amazing facilities
- Family Friendly
- Stylish self-catering apartments
- Flexible accommodation, concierge service
- Super location in chic Camps Bay
- Swimming pools, spa, tennis courts
- Stunning views
- Great Facilities
- Part of Table Mountain National Park
- Camps Bay Apartments
- Good Value
- Contemporary style
- Swimming Pool
- Private Nature reserve
- 500 yards from the beach
- Extensive facilities
- Convenient beach access
- 4 swimming pools and spa
- Tennis and squash courts
- Gym with optional personal trainer
- Set in a trendy suburb of Cape Town
- Peaceful, quiet location
- Well designed interiors
- Good hospitality
- 6 chic rooms & suites
- Elevated position with stunning views
- Tranquil, urban hideaway
- Pool & Jacuzzi
Close to beach & restaurants
- Historic & Contemporary
- Lush Parkland
- Indoor & Outdoor Spa
- Banyan Tree Spa
- Elegant boutique hotel
- Tranquil setting in beautiful gardens
- 20 minutes to downtown Cape Town
- Stylish property in affluent wine suburb
- Beautifully presented gardens with pool
- 15 minutes from central Cape Town
- Gourmet dining experience
- 400m from Cape Town Airport
- Tranquil wetland setting
- 145 room / 4* Hotel
- Eco pool & Outdoor Gym
- 24 luxury rooms & suites
- Stunning estate with vineyard & mountain views
- Gourmet food & award-winning wines
- National Monument
- Golf course, pool & spa
- Set on a mountain side with lovely views
- Characterful boutique hotel near golf courses
- Wine estates, theatre & water sports nearby
- Swimming pool, gym, library, restaurant
The safari trip was excellent! The stay, the food and the people were all very nice. We were happy to have Ryan and Stanley as our game drive guides they brought us up close to the animals and Ryan gave very good information throughout.
Would definitely recommend to friends who are interested in safaris :)
Also, thanks much for your help, particularly keeping the room for my Brother and his wife they’ve enjoyed the safari very much too!
Woan Chyi L reviewing Cape Town & Kruger Safari on 16 October 2019
We had a fantastic time and all the arrangements worked perfectly.
We were very impressed with the quality and service levels of all 4 locations visited and it was truly a holiday of a lifetime.
Thank you to you and to Lisa for giving us this experience.
Particular highlights for us – really the whole experience, but of particular impact:
Breathtaking scenery at Cathedral Peak Hotel
Rhino Ridge game drives incredible, thanks to guide (we had their head guide, Hala, who’s knowledge, enthusiasm, kindness, interaction, ability to spot wildlife was out of this world)
Luxury of Rhino Ridge (shower, food, views, service)
Immersion in nature, torch lit meal on last night and beach trip at Kosi Forest Lodge
Level of service, quality of food throughout
Catherine F reviewing South Africa Safari, Beach and Wetlands on 04 September 2019
We had a fantastic time. Thank you and it went smoothly in the main except for British Airways!
The trip had the right degree of luxury and relaxation (for me) and adventure (all of us).
A few points:
Driving directions to Umlunghi Lodge were slightly wrong. The driving directions should read at the 4th roundabout take the first exit and turn right over the railway. We loved it there. Anton, Bianca and her son and Harriet were very informative and entertaining. The snake talk and handling, night walks and seeing scorpions and the walk in the bush and "bumping" into a giraffe were really special. The kayak trip to Makuzi pan that the lodge organised was good and Tomaz was very informative and kept a respectful distance from the hippos.3 nights was plenty.
Rhino River Lodge game reserve was incredibly luxurious and we felt very looked after. The lion siting in camp the day we arrived sent an extra frisson of excitement down our spines. It was easy to forget there were predators that could attack us with all that luxury. The staff and guides (Karl) were knowledgeable and invested in their set up. We saw rhinos with baby, cheetahs with young, porcupine, Genet, wildebeast, Impala, Lion with young, buffalo, a puff adder, ostrich, zebra and giraffes. 4 nights was also plenty.
They all served great food but I felt Ghost Mountain Inn topped the lot. The variety was amazing. We arrived at 10.30 but could not get into our room until 2 ish. The service was not so personal I guess because it is larger (far more than 50 rooms). We had been a bit spoilt at Rhino River! My daughter and I had some treatments at the Spa and loved it. We also went on a large boat trip on Jonzi and had a closer encounter with a large bull hippo and also a hike up Ghost Mountain with Patrick who was very informative and passionate about his people and his country. Isaac the other guide there took us on the boat trip and pointed out the sugar cane harvest on the way. he was very informative also.
Lastly, Lalaria Lodge was fabulous and we all piled into the surf of the Indian Ocean. There was hardly anyone on the beach. It was "too cold" according to the landlady. The view from her terrace was of the ocean and whales breaching in the distance. I could have sat there all day. She very kindly provided us with a Scrabble board of her own for us to play. We took a Microlight ride from Ballito over the coastline in the hope of seeing whales and dolphins but no luck. If we had stayed longer we might have gone on a boat trip from Durban. We had a meal at a restaurant called Mozambique which was great fun with vast portions, plenty of carbs and fresh seafood!
The value of the Rand to the Pound was excellent and therefore we felt that we got excellent value which also played a large part!
Katrina P reviewing Value KZN Bush & Beach Safari For Families on 02 September 2019