- Well established resort with traditional feel
- Parasailing, night time snorkelling, diving
- Kayaking, wakeboarding, glass bottom boat
- Art classes, horticulture walks, yoga
Situated on the idyllic island of Vihamanaafushi not too far from the capital of Male is Kurumba. This tropical island resort puts just as much emphasis on activities as it does on relaxation. It’s both lively and laidback, so guests are free to enjoy their time here in whichever way they prefer. After flying into Male International Airport, guests reach the resort by a 10-minute speedboat transfer. Kurumba holds the distinction of being the Maldives’ very first private island resort.
There’s a choice of eight different accommodation grades ranging from the comfortable Superior Rooms to the expansive Royal Kurumba Residence. All of the resort’s rooms, bungalows and villas are handsomely furnished and very well presented, their décor combining a contemporary and traditional feel. Amenities common to all grades of accommodation include air conditioning and fans, a flat-screen TV with DVD player, complimentary toiletries, facilities for making tea, coffee and hot chocolate and a minibar. All guests receive slippers, bags and towels for use on the beach.
There’s a great deal to see, do and experience both on the island itself and further afield. For dining, there are a total of eight restaurants that serve an array of dishes from around the world. Try Middle Eastern delights at Al Qasr and traditional Indian classics at Mahal, or casual international food at Cafe and high-end Italian favourites at the adults-only Isola. There are several meal plans to choose from, including an all-inclusive option. Throughout the island are four bars; the Kandu Bar offers live entertainment, while the two Athiri Bars on opposite ends of the island are ideal locations for viewing the sunset.
Water sports such as wakeboarding, parasailing, kayaking and jet skiing are on offer in the island’s crystal clear waters, along with diving with a PADI certified instructor to discover a vibrant underwater world. Back on dry land, guests can enjoy a range of traditional treatments at the Veli Spa and take part in activities as varied as horticulture walks, yoga sessions, painting classes and cocktail mixing demonstrations. The resort offers a broad range of exciting excursions such as sunset cruises, guided tours of Male, night-time snorkelling trips and rides around the island in a glass-bottom boat.
Families will be pleased to know that children are welcome at Kurumba and can stay in all eight grades of accommodation. There’s plenty for children to do at the resort: there’s a cinema room and Playstation area, as well as games area and a splash pad. During the day, a wide range of age-appropriate activities are offered at the Majaa Kids’ Club. Note that parents should keep their children under adult supervision at all times.
- Private island resort with excellent reputation
- Prestigious diving centre, snorkelling, fishing
- Dolphin and whale shark spotting
- Numerous on-site bar and dining options
- Short speedboat transfer from Male airport
- Lovely swimmable lagoon, characterful feel
- Waterskiing, windsurfing, surfing, diving
- Snorkelling, visits to nearby islands
- Contemporary resort, superb facilities
- Infinity pool, fitness centre, billiards table, spa
- Fishing, island hopping, underwater hockey
- Aqua Life Discovery Centre with aquarium
- Large but characterful high-end resort
- Diving, water-skiing, kayaking, windsurfing
- Great food, private destination dining options
- Spa with hydrotherapy pool, infinity pool
- Relatively small resort with 'select' feel
- All villas boast private plunge pool
- Fishing, sunset cruises, gym, spa
- Beach sports, tennis, water sports
- High end facilities and amenities
- All rooms boast private outdoor space
- Water sports including diving & snorkelling
- Sunset cruises, visits to local fishing villages
- Top notch all-inclusive resort, superb value
- Resort renowned for excellent diving
- Gym, infinity pool, over-water spa
- Fishing, cruises, village visits, water sports
- Large yet peaceful island resort
- Huge dining choice, gym, spa, tennis, yoga
- Adrenaline water sports e.g. hover boarding
- Snorkelling, diving, kite surfing, jet skis
- Private villas, many with pools
- Great choice for large groups
- Tennis, gym, jogging track, water sports
- Open air cinema, observatory with telescope
- Maldives' newest 5* plus resort
- Self catering an option, superb kids facilities
- Snorkelling, diving, tennis, volleyball, football
- Catamaran sailing, parasailing, jet skis
- Sophisticated, top-notch all-inclusive resort
- Stand-alone villas with good level of privacy
- One of the largest resorts in the Maldives
- Sunset fishing, snorkelling, diving, spa
- Large island resort with golf course
- Luxury sailing, diving, snorkelling
- Tennis, football, badminton, volleyball, gym
- Wine cellar, spa, night life, shopping
- Large island
- Variety of facilities available
- Padi dive centre
- Highly contemporary eco-friendly resort
- Great value for a luxurious property
- Private, open-air bathtubs in all villas
- Wakeboarding, diving, ping pong, bike hire
Hello Lisa. We came back from our trip two weeks ago now so I am sending this email much later than I wanted to. Nevertheless, what I wanted to say was thank you very much for helping us organise an amazing trip. Our days in Mafia Island to celebrate my 50th birthday were exactly what I wanted them to be: a fantastic time with the family doing activities that we all love and enjoy in a relaxing, unusual, beautiful place full of sun, surrounded by water, wildlife and friendly people. We swam with whale sharks, did a lot of snorkeling, had two picnics on a beautiful sand bank, watched the sunset over the sea, did a bird watching excursion and tried scuba diving.
All merit to you because Pole Pole in Mafia Island was your recommendation. I never heard of Mafia Island before and didn't consider Tanzania to start with. It was an amazing place to stay: friendly, relaxed, beautiful, comfortable, with great food and fantastic service. Thanks not only for finding the place but also for your patience as we prepared the trip and I explored options and decided what I wanted. All went incredibly well (places, transfers, flights) and we had a very memorable time together that we will all remember forever - as we still do the safari trip to South Africa you organised for us 5 years ago.
I cannot wait to plan another trip! I am already thinking about where and when. Hopefully no pandemic will get in the way this time. And I will come to you as my favourite travel agent.
I copy in this message the Tourdust office because I want them to know how good you are and how much I appreciated the different trips you organised for us (including the trip to India for my parents that was cancelled due to Covid). I cannot thank you enough :o)
Kind regards, Carol
Carolina O reviewing Relaxed Bush & Beach Family Holiday in Tanzania on 25 November 2022
It was a fantastic experience, thanks very much. All the arrangements were seamless and our guiding/support team were excellent, if there is a way for you to formally commend the team to your ground operators then I would be grateful if you could do that, they really were brilliant.
Many thanks for your help in arranging the trip, and for your patience during the multiple re-arrangements over the past couple of years.
Kind regards, John
John B reviewing Mount Kenya Sirimon Naro Moru Trek on 14 November 2022
Can't praise tour dust enough, they helped us to create a holiday of a lifetime that has given us family memories we will treasure forever. From start to finish the whole experience was exactly what we wanted and more. Due to covid we waited 2 and a half years for this trip but worth the wait.
Carly R reviewing Value KwaZulu-Natal Safari and Mauritius on 07 November 2022