Between the months of June to November, Hermanus offers the finest land-based whale watching on Earth. Walker Bay is the mating and breeding ground of the Southern Right Whale and in season whales can be seen playing as close as five meters from shore.
The best way to see the whales is by walking the 12km cliff path, which offers numerous viewing points and spectacular scenery. Boat based whale watching and small aircraft flights are also available.
Accommodation in Hermanus is mostly in guesthouses and small hotels and there are a number of good restaurants in town. The best options however are out of town, in particular the spectacular Grootbos which makes the most of its private fynbos reserve and spectacular scenery. If you don't have time to stay overnight in the area, it is possible to visit on a day tour from Cape Town.
Our holidays are rated 5.0 out of 5 stars
We loved the personal, friendly and expert service that we received.
K Limb. See more reviews
Classic Garden Route holiday including our trademark Cape Town experience, Eastern Cape Safari and Coast.
Tailor-made 2 weeks
From $2,003 per person
We know every family is unique. Your dedicated travel consultant will develop a bespoke trip just for you.
Tailor-made doesn't have to be expensive. We work hard to be on brief and below budget.
We have years of experience creating family holidays. We take away all the stress to create the perfect family holiday.
- pristine wilderness lodge
- beautiful views
- superb service & guides
- family friendly
- 17 rooms & suites
- Attractive manor house & Villa in a garden setting
- Cliff path access & indigenous Fynbos
- Close to beaches, hiking trails, wine farms & whale watching boats (seasonal)
- Elegant guesthouse and historic wine estate
- Tranquil rural setting with lovely views
- Fine dining restaurant, pool, tennis courts
- Excellent provision for families
- Contemporary coastal hotel
- Ocean views
- Restaurant, pool, & gardens
- Seasonal whale watching
- Variety of activities available.
- Cozy cottages or luxury rooms
- Private 1000 hectare nature reserve